Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Random Suggestions for Mothers 1st Edition The Vomit Bucket Story

Well, That Is Kind of Gross, But....

I raised three kids that I actually gave birth to myself. I also raised a daughter that I was gifted with when she was five. Then there are the teenagers I picked up along the way who called me "Mom". That makes for a lot of kids. So I picked up a few tricks. 

But my memory sucks worse than my mom's old Dustbuster.
So I figure I will just post them as Random Suggestions for Mothers whenever I remember them.



Two incidents recently reminded me of when my kids were younger and something that I would do for them when they were ill. 

My youngest is pregnant and suffering from nausea. Horrible, horrible nausea. 

Unlike when my kids were small, we are currently living in a two story house, with three bathrooms. But way back then, we were not so lucky. 

And my little ones rarely moved very fast when they were sick any way.
We could have had six bathrooms and they would have had to sleep in the bathtub to get to the toilet in time to vomit in there when they were ill. 

After one too many nights of a kid sitting up and upchucking all over their bedding, I knew there had to be something better. 


So I started saving 7-11 Super Big Gulp cups, rinsing them out and keeping a few in the house. Damp tissue paper  in the bottom prevents splashbacks initially. Gross, yes. But effective. 


They vomit. You dump, flush, rinse, repeat. Hopefully not for long. Once they have recovered, you throw the cup away. Or if it lasts longer than 24 hours, get a fresh cup.




But when you move into the teenage world...or even have husbands....or pregnant daughters. You really have to improvise. 

So I did. It even has a handle so they can carry it around the house with them in case they feel the urge to roam. And you know they will, eventually. Especially the pregnant one. Plus a lid, for when they gross themselves and others out. (I am kidding about the lid. See below.)

Another good idea is to keep at least one of these buckets in your car. Fill it with a water bottle, paper towels, a wash cloth. They are great for those rides home when someone doesn't feel good and you keep telling the kid to "Hang on, we're almost there." 

You know that they will throw up all over the place. It will either happen when you are stuck in traffic or as you pull into the driveway. 

Either way, having what my kids call The Vomit Bucket could be a lifesaver. At the very least it will save your upholstery or the paint job or the door panel or the dashboard. 

All of which my kids have baptised at least once.

One as recently as last week. Which is how I was reminded first. Then I read another blog about someone being sick. Which was my reminder to write this blog. 

I am just slightly scattered in my thought process. 

It all makes sense. You just have to learn to think like a stroke struck mother. Easy peasy! 

I hope that someone finds something helpful from this. 

Goodnight 

Snarky!

   




No comments:

Post a Comment